The U.S. Department of Justice building was completed in 1935 from a design by Milton Bennett Medary.
Upon Medary’s death in 1929, the other partners of his Philadelphia firm Zantzinger, Borie and Medary took over the project.
On a lot bordered by Constitution and Pennsylvania Avenues and Ninth and Tenth Streets, Northwest, it holds over one million square feet of space.
The sculptor C. Paul Jennewein served as overall design consultant for the entire building, contributing more than 50 separate sculptural elements inside and outside.
The meaning of the Latin motto appearing on the Department of Justice seal, Qui Pro Domina Justitia Sequitur. Various translations have produced very interesting results and relate to Libertas the Gift from France Americans know as the Statue of Liberty.
As many statesman of the past have so often used Justice in metaphor being like a good woman you persue until you marry her, from there comes the background from which we derive meaning of the first translation from the Latin.
Qui Pro Domina Justitia Sequitur – The one wishes to rule, must follow her justice.
And her Justice is always aimed to the emancipation of humans from the bonds of slavery.
The Statue of Liberty was dedicated October 28th 1886 11 years after the end of the civil war and is more than likely the inspiration for this quote.
It is not even known exactly when the original version of the DOJ seal itself was adopted, or when the motto first appeared on the seal but given the circumstances it was more than likely established after the Civil war.
The most complimentary opinion of the DOJ suggests that the motto refers to the Attorney General man or woman (and thus, by extension, to the Department of Justice) “who prosecutes on behalf of justice (or the Lady Justice).”
The motto’s conception of the prosecutor (or government attorney) as being the servant of justice itself finds concrete expression in a similarly-ordered English-language inscription (“THE UNITED STATES WINS ITS POINT WHENEVER JUSTICE IS DONE ITS CITIZENS IN THE COURTS”) in the above-door paneling in the ceremonial rotunda anteroom just outside the Attorney General’s office in the Department of Justice Main Building in Washington, D.C.
The building was renamed in honor of former Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy in 2001. It is sometimes referred to as “Main Justice
The Statue of Liberty (Liberty Enlightening the World; French: La Liberté éclairant le monde) is a neoclassical sculpture on Liberty Island in New York Harbor in New York City, in the United States.
The copper statue, designed by Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi, a French sculptor, was built by Gustave Eiffel of the Eiffel tower and dedicated on October 28, 1886.
Libertas was a gift to the United States from the people of France.
The statue is of a robed female figure representing Libertas, the Roman goddess, who bears a torch and a tabula ansata (a tablet evoking the law) upon which is inscribed the date of the American Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776 though this was inscribed much later than 1776 over a hundred years later.
A broken chain lies at her feet which is a metaphor to breaking the chains and bondage of slavery.
The statue is a symbol of freedom of the United States of America, and was a welcoming sight to immigrants arriving from Europe to settle in the United States of America between the late 1800s and early 1900 hundreds many of them having seen it and accustomed to it in France prior and familiar with the legend of the Roman Goddess of Freedom.
Bartholdi was inspired by French law professor and politician Édouard René de Laboulaye, who is said to have commented in 1865 that any monument raised to American independence would properly be a joint project of the French and American people’s.
He may have been minded to honor the Union victory in the American Civil War and the end of slavery.
Due to the post-war instability in France, work on the statue did not commence until the early 1870s. In 1875,
Laboulaye proposed that the French finance the statue and the Americans provide the site and build the pedestal.
Bartholdi completed the head and the torch-bearing arm before the statue was fully designed, and these pieces were exhibited for publicity at international expositions.
The torch-bearing arm was displayed at the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia in 1876, and in Madison Square Park in Manhattan from 1876 to 1882.
Fundraising proved difficult, especially for the Americans, and by 1885 work on the pedestal was threatened due to lack of funds.
Publisher Joseph Pulitzer of the New York World started a drive for donations to complete the project that attracted more than 120,000 contributors, most of whom gave less than a dollar.
The statue was constructed in France, shipped overseas in crates, and assembled on the completed pedestal on what was then called Bedloe’s Island.
The statue’s completion was marked by New York’s first ticker-tape parade and a dedication ceremony presided over by President Grover Cleveland.
The statue was administered by the United States Lighthouse Board until 1901 and then by the Department of War; since 1933 it has been maintained by the National Park Service.